CMU's system makes it kind of hard to change your name, but here's what we've found useful in the past:
- SIO Preferred Name: Setting a preferred name in SIO does a lot of things, most notably, the preferred name will show up on class rosters and in housing. It'll be displayed on the front of your student ID (although your legal name will still show up on the back). If you create a Workday account after changing your name, it'll use your preferred name.
- Directory Preferred Name: Setting this will show a "Preferred Name" field when people look you up in the CMU Directory. It will still also show your legal name. Setting this also changes the name people see when they send an email to you from a CMU email address.
- Outgoing email name. Email clients (including the Gmail web client) allow you to set the name that is displayed on your outgoing emails. This name is what people will see when they receive an email from you. The way to do this varies based on the email client, but you can google how to do this. For example, here is how to do it for Gmail.
- Directory Display Name. Setting this does the work of setting the previous two options, plus your old name stops showing up. The information on how to do this has been taken down from the CMU website but you should be able to do it by going to The HUB and requesting to have your directory display name changed.
- Health Services Preferred Name: this guide will show you how to change the name that Health Services uses.