This week's meeting was really insightful! We reflected on what people are getting out of ALLIES vs what people want to get out of ALLIES, and the feedback we received was very valuable. I'm excited as always to see what new things we do going forward! We also want to continue to listen to what our general body has to say, so if there's ever anything you want to let us know about, drop it in our new suggestion box!
Unfortunately, I must also announce that Darrius and Nat have resigned from their positions as Activism Chair and Social Chair of ALLIES. This means that we're immediately starting the process of electing new people to those positions. Any voting member of ALLIES (that is, someone who has been to at least two meetings in the past 9 months) may run for an exec position. Nominations for these positions are open until the start of our next general body meeting (November 2nd). If you want to nominate yourself or nominate someone else, just send us an email! Each candidate for election is expected to make a short speech at our next GBM about why they are running for the position. The actual voting will take place at the following GBM, November 9th.
For reference, the Social Chair is in charge of creating a social atmosphere in ALLIES through planning and running social events. Some examples of social events are trips to get half price, shopping trips to the Waterfront, karaoke, ice skating, and the hair dyeing party we had recently. The Activism Chair is responsible for organizing events that spread awareness of issues relating to gender and orientation diversity. Some examples of events that we've done so far are Out at The Fence, Bisexual Awareness Week, and Asexual Awareness Week.
If you have any questions about the positions or the election process, or nominations you would like to make, send us an email!
Now, onto our regularly scheduled announcements:
- We're having a spooky social meeting this week!
- Friday, at 5pm, in SoHo (CUC 335, above Au Bon Pain)
- Spooky music, candy, tarot reading
- Costumes are not required, but they are encouraged!
Asexual Awareness Week
- We're tabling again tomorrow (Friday)
- 11am to 1:30pm at the Fence
- Handing out cake and informational pamphlets
- Sign up to table!
Racism is Real
- There will be a talk in the Racism Is Real lecture series today (Thursday)
- "Microaggressions to Racialized Aggressions: Exploring Racism on College and University Campuses"
- October 27th at 4:45pm in Porter Hall 100
- Check out this page for more information
President's Town Hall Meeting
- CMU President Subra Suresh is holding a town hall meeting
- Next Thursday, November 3rd, at 12:30pm
- In Rangos Ballroom, on the second floor of the CUC
- It's a really important opportunity to voice concerns to the administration!
- If you cannot attend, you can submit questions online
Mental Health Support Group
Asexual Spectrum Support Group
- First official weekly meeting this Saturday, October 29th, at 4:30pm in SoHo
- If you have any questions, email Kelly
Queer Book Club
Prideful Garment Commissions
- Sonia is taking suggestions for books/media to add to our library
I know this was a long post, but you made it through! Have a great rest of Asexual Awareness Week! [there's a cake emoji here in the email, but allies website eats it when I try to update. show up tomorrow to our table for ace week if you want actual cake, though!]
Kelly "[allies website doesn't support russian either......imagine the word 'asexual', but in russian]" Rauchenberger